Original Upper Canada College buildings on King Street West (at Simcoe Street, about where the Royal Alex is now). Photo shows UCC buildings post 1877 expansions and remodeling: “By the 1870s, with an enrolment of 300, the school was outgrowing the 1831 buildings. A $40,000 expenditure for expansion of the original structures was approved by the province for twelve classrooms, a public hall, a room for the principal, and beds for 60 more borders. The improvements were complete by April 1877, with the centre block expanded and its main facade altered to more of a Queen Anne style blended with a modified Elizabethan. Two story brick piers enhanced the corners and framed tall narrow windows, with the main entrance protruding forward, flanked by banded columns, more typical of Jacobean style. An octagonal cupola surmounted the main entrance volume, surrounded by narrow pinnacles topping the corner piers, which all concealed chimneys and ventilation openings. The eclectic mix of different styles was typical of the overall concept of Victorian architecture.”
UCC moved to its present Deer Park location in 1891, with the original buildings being torn down not long after.