"For twenty-two years between 1935 and 1957, all riders, young and old, were required to jump through a series of bureaucratic hoops before turning a pedal on Toronto’s streets. According to the City of Toronto, cyclists had to apply for a license at City Hall, have their bike inspected at a local police station and provide paperwork proving that it had been deemed road-worthy. The city would then issue another piece of paper that was to be brought back to the police station where a metal, one-year license plate would be stamped. Each successful application cost 50-cents and the license plate had to be displayed on the rear mudguard at all times. The fine for non-compliance was $5."